This is part 6 of the 10 part series Creating Twitter Marketing Success
Before I discuss what structured tweets are, what they mean and how to use them, I first wanted to take a look back.
So far in this series we’ve discussed:
- How to create a Killer social media plan because there is no way to obtain greatness if you don’t have a road map.
- You’ve been given some fantastic suggestions for increasing followers. After all, whose going to see all the resourceful content you post if you don’t have any followers?
- I’ve explained the who, what, when, where and how of hashtag usage for business that will help your tweets to stay on the radar long after you’ve originally Tweeted.
- How to grow your following to obtain quality leads. As a business obtaining leads should be one of the main goals of social media marketing.
- The previous installment in this series was all about brand building and actually communicating with your audience.
Now it’s time to get your Tweeting on…
Twitter can be fun, fruitful and fulfilling. That all has to be done within the 140 character limitation imposed by Twitter. Don’t get it twisted, there is still a lot that can be said in a single Tweet.
It is also super easy to send out a Tweet and hope for the best. Why not give your Tweets some structure so they can hit their intended mark and help make the sales. Selling our products and services is what we are in business for in the first place.
First you need to know a bit of Twitter language.
Basic Twitter Lingo
Did you know that Twitter has it’s own lingo or language. Most social networks do.
Here are a few of the most popular terms used on Twitter:
- RT – ReTweet
- DM – Direct Message
- MT – Modified Tweet
- PLS – Please
“FACT : Did you know that it is an acceptable practice to have misspelling in order to shorten messages?”
Grammar police don’t come after me for this one. I don’t make the rules.
Emoji, To Use or Not To Use?
We live in a world of emojis. Emojis are the representation of a word using a small, simple picture. Some would say that using emojis within a Tweet is a great way to get attention. Using emojis on a business Twitter profile could be a bit tricky.
There is a level of professionalism that needs to be maintained whenever a brand is participating on social media. It is recommended that you use emojis sparingly. You’ll want to be taken seriously in an authoritative manner and not as the court jester. That could happen if you get carried away with the thumbs up, hearts and happy faces.
Understand the Rules
You can’t get around rules. Like all social networks there are terms of service agreements that need to be review, written rules and community dictated etiquette that needs to be followed.
Here are few of those rules for Tweeting:
- Don’t attempt to be someone you’re not. That means no impersonation allowed.
- Don’t use trademarked content (PERIOD). Besides being banned from Twitter, this could get you in a world of EXPENSIVE trouble.
- You’re not allowed to share private information especially if you have an non-disclosure agreement with a client. Mums is the word.
- Violent and threatening language can not only get you thrown in the Twitter slammer, but you may end up in a real cell block serving time. Be nice (PERIOD).
- Twitter does not monitor communications by it’s users. However copyright accusations can get your Twitter profile shut down.
- Some would say spammers post illegal content. That may not always be the case. Just know that your Twitter account contents can be used in a court of law if you are accused of unlawful activities.
Enough said about that.
Next….Don’t Under Estimate the Power of Hashtags
I’ve already covered the use of hashtags in this series. You can review Twitter Hashtags Guide, Increase Search Engine Visibility .
Hashtags take Tweets to a higher level and should always be used in the majority of your brand’s Tweeting activity. You can also download the Smart Definitive Twitter Hashtag Action Guide .
Hashtags are used to:
Organize conversation in a single thread on Twitter.
Monitor specific discussions connected to specific hashtags.
Add search capabilities.
Track online humor for a particular topic.
Promote products and services.
Boost conversations about events, projects and things your organization is excited about.
Convey an idea such as humor. Example #SugarDaddyAlert
Announce Special Promotions and campaigns.
Maximize Giveaway participation. An example would be #AmazonGiveaway .
Conversations can be tracked in real-time. Real-time is huge.
The bottom line is that hashtags amplify the reach of any Tweet so your brand can be seen and have visibility on a global level.
Time for the Nitty Gritty of this article:
Elements and Anatomy of a Strong Tweet
Some thought and some brainstorming should be taken into consideration before you hit the big blue Tweet button. There are benefits to having well thought out Tweets.
The benefits are:
- Keeping the tone of your Tweets in line with your brands message.
- Attracting and guiding followers to where the real magic happens. The magic is on your website where you can sell, sell, sell.
- Having the very best elements included to effectively grab the attention of the right people at the right time.
- Building a Tweet with a solid foundation that will allow your Tweets to have an effective attractiveness long after you have initially sent the message out into the world. That means giving your Tweets SEO juice.
Here are some example of good, better and best constructed Tweets: (FYI, I’m not picking on anyone. I went into our (@SmartOfficeHelp) super active Twitter feed and pulled out some examples. Don’t send the Twitter police after me.)
This is a great Tweet, but it could be better. There is nothing that really stands out in this Tweet. There is a URL link, but no call to action.
This Tweet is definitely better. It would appear to be a ReTweet. There is a call to action “Watch our new video”, a URL Link to the video and some hashtags.
The key elements that make this an overall best Tweet for the three chosen is that:
- The message is clear – ” Perfect Engagement Rings 2015″
- It is using a question to get the followers to engage with a response – “Which one is your favourite?”
- There is the use of relevant emojis.
- The use of a large image created with the proper dimensions is a game stopper.
- There is a non spammy looking URL link used to get additional information.
- The last element is the use of a call-to-action button included with the image – “Read More”
“FACT: Did you know, according to the Twitter network, that Tweets with large images get 23% more retweets on average than those that don’t.”
Final Thoughts on Creating Structured Tweets for Tweeting Success
Strategy is the operative word in any business idea, plan and execution. Strategies are the road maps that go along with the building blocks of moving actions into profit for a business.
The benefits of structuring your Tweets in a manner that will get the ROI (Return on Investment) needed are :
- People sharing your content without you asking. Of course asking never hurts and this is essentially like having your own personal virtual mailman.
- Having strong Tweets helps to build brand awareness.
- Your brand will have industry authority. Style is everything.
- Your brand will develop a branded Tweeting style the more you Tweet.
- Last, your followers are smart Twitter folk. They have high expectations when it comes to who they intend to follow off the Twitter network. Having well thought out Tweets builds a well know reputation.
“Its not what you do, but the way you do it” – Elizabeth Hall
If you’re still on the fence about what Twitter has to offer then the Dig Deep Twitter Marketing Action Sheets Guide is a great place to start. The book includes as a bonus 14 worksheets to assist any Entrepreneur with learning how to take full advantage of what Twitter has to offer. At the same time the actual actions sheets will walk you through what needs to be in place to make the most of your Twitter activity.
- Creating a Twitter Marketing Plan of Attack to Maximize ROI
- Increase Marketing Momentum by Increasing Twitter Followers
- Twitter Hashtags Guide, Increase Search Engine Visibility
- Learning What Tweetability Means and Grow Your Following With Quality Leads
- Brand Building with Real-Time Audience Engagements
- Create Structured Tweets for Higher Visibility and Increased Website Traffic
- Guide Followers into the Sales Funnel with Powerful Call-to-Actions
- Making an Impact Using Consistency (Coming Soon!)
- Boost Your Brand Promotions (Coming Soon!)
- Adjust, Adjust and Measure (Coming Soon!)
What are your thoughts about Structured Tweets?